Side Menu

Weather Forecast

Clear

14°C

Marondera

Clear
Humidity: 92%
Wind: N at 22.53 km/h
Thursday
Scattered thunderstorms
15°C / 22°C
Friday
Partly cloudy
14°C / 24°C
Saturday
Scattered thunderstorms
14°C / 24°C
Sunday
Thunderstorms
15°C / 25°C

Peterhouse Boys

Grinham House

HOUSEMASTER  -  MR KEVAN BARBOUR

Assistant Housemaster – Mr NI Whitcomb

Head of House – Velile Malaba

Email:  grinham@peterhouse.co.zw

STRUCTURE
Grinham is a double story building housing 75 boys and was completely refurbished in 2015.  We have two dormitories to accommodate 16 boys in both ‘C’ and ‘B’ Block and we have two Super Toyes that can House 8 boys.
We also have 30 studies which vary in size which can accommodate 33 boys. Vth and VIth form boys have their own studies. There are three Toyes for the juniors to do their prep with 30 desk places.

A common room is shared between all boys in the House where there is the facility to watch DSTV on a flat screen T.V.  There is a mini soccer table and two pool tables. The House boasts a tumble dryer, two fridges, a microwave, kettle and toasting machines.  The House stands in line for refurbishment and it is hoped this can be done in the next few years.

HISTORY
The House was named after the Reverend Cannon Robert Grinham who, in 1921 shared an idea with Maurice Carver of building a school somewhere in Southern Africa.  In 1925 he moved to South Africa and taught at Ridge school in Johannesburg and would travel each holiday in search of a place to start his own school.  He searched as far north as Zimbabwe (formerly Southern Rhodesia) and at the end of 1926 he was called by Bishop Paget who suggested a school be built within his diocese on a property in Marandellas ( Marondera ), called Ruzawi Inn.

The conditions of starting up a school in the area were that the Diocese of Southern Rhodesia should start a senior school as soon as the number of pupils justified such a step.  Little did he know it would be 25 years later before this became a reality.

In 1953 Springvale School was opened and in 1955 Peterhouse.  Cannon Grinham was Founder of both Ruzawi and Springvale.  In 1957, the year of both Cannon Grinham and Maurice Carvers retirements, Grinham House came into being.  The first Housemaster was Mr Bryan Curtis and in 1959 the first recorded Head of House was Norman Reynolds.


HOUSEMASTER
Kevan Barbour has been Housemaster of Grinham House since January 2008.

Before being appointed as Housemaster, Kevan was involved in the managing, running, coaching and umpiring of cricket and hockey to a variety of age groups both in and out of schools.

Kevan is an ex-International Cricket Umpire and has been fortunate to travel extensively with the International Cricket Umpires' Panel umpiring and meeting many people of different cultures.  His experiences while serving his country during national service and by raising his own family are invaluable in enabling him to guide and direct the young men of Grinham.

Kevan has been married to Hettie for 40 years; together they have two grown up children Ryan, Deputy Head of St John’s Prep School, Julie also a qualified teacher and six grand children from the ages of 2 to12 years old.

petreans-logo