Building & Estates Update - June 2013
In September last year BESTCO circulated an update of projects across the three schools broadly categorized into the expansion of Peterhouse Girls and the replacement and upgrade of facilities across the three schools.
All parents are reminded that the Peterhouse Girls expansion is financed by way of a loan raised through PTA Bank based in Kenya. This loan has been secured at a favourable rate of interest. The loan will be repaid from the additional income derived from the additional girls admitted. By 2016, Peterhouse Girls will have 180 more pupils than it did in 2010. The loan repayment commences in 2015.
The major projects completed to date are:
• Three new boarding facilities each housing 80 girls plus five VIth Form Leaders and a Staff Flat.
• Construction of an Academic Classroom Block and a Practical Classroom Block.
• The first phase of the ring road to the new sporting facilities.
• Relocation of the Springvale fields to their new site. This has been recently extended to accommodate an athletics track. This extension was funded by a generous donation from a corporate sponsor.
• Ten new all weather tennis courts.
• Four hockey fields for Peterhouse Girls.
• Renovation of the D Block dormitory providing boarding accommodation for 80 D Block girls and 8 VIth Form Leaders together with an additional Staff Flat.
To complete the expansion at PHG, the following projects are still outstanding:
• The expansion of the existing Chapel maintaining its current look and feel.
• The total renovation of the existing Dinning Hall and Kitchen, including the replacement of all the equipment.
• The renovation of the old “A Block” cottages to accommodate the increased number of Vth and VIth Form girls.
• The building of ablutions and a small pavilion at the Sports fields and tennis courts.
• The renovation and expansion of the sanatorium.
• The renovation and expansion of the teaching facilities.
In the planning phase is also a pavilion at the Springvale House fields.
Replacement and upgrades are funded out of school fee income where the following major projects have either been completed or are currently underway:
Peterhouse Boys (PHB):
• The kitchen will be renovated and the equipment, which I am sure dates back to 1955, will be replaced by the end of the year.
• A considerable sum will be spent on the classrooms to improve the learning environment.
• Completion of the ZESA dedicated line by the end of the Trinity Term.
• Exotics are slowly being cleared from Calderwood Park. Parents are encouraged to use this wonderful facility.
• A new 3 bedroom house is under construction for the Margaret House Mistress.
• The kitchen has been renovated, expanded and equipped with new equipment.
• Two boreholes have recently been drilled which in addition to the boreholes at PHB it is hoped will supply all the schools drinking water requirements for most of the year at least.
• An additional water right has been obtained and together with the installation of the requisite piping and pump will mean that adequate water will be available for irrigation over the hot dry September to November period.
The Cricket Centre of Excellence will be operational at the start of the third term. Interviews are currently underway for the appointment to commence at the same time. The schools thanks once again go to Gary Steyn who has been the driving force behind raising the funds and managing the project, as well as to Dirk Moore Gordon whose practical assistance has been invaluable in making this happen.
A major project for the future is water and electricity conservation. Funding for this and many other competing projects is and will always remain an issue. Please contact Mark Whitaker at
if you are able to, or know who is able to, assist specifically with the utility conservation project, and or, fund raising.